Skip to main content

An Angel with no god? (Judgement #1 Preview)

Today was supposed to be a 'normal' day...

I thanked the congregation one by one as the left through the doors, their various dresses and suits all looked stunning as they praised the Lord. Today's service went well, I really hope Mrs. Kimble will be healed from her grieving, her husband's passing was so sudden. The tears streamed down her face as she let the spirit of the Holy Ghost sweep her away today, she broke out in dance like I had never seen. I was so glad to see that. I put away the good book in the back and counted the collections for the day. Quite a bit, looks like the children's charity will be happy this week and I can buy some more food for the kitchen. Good service today.

I left behind the church and went back home and quickly changed into my jogging clothes, a stark white long sleeved top, grey shorts, and a pair of black running shoes, and went out to the trail for my morning jog. The forest was serene as always, a great place to just unwind and think. The lush greens, reds, and yellows continued endlessly into the horizon while the various bodies of nature carried on, skittering, chirping, fluttering, and leaping about as Nature intended. The dirt path uplifted with each step as I picked up my pace to a brisk jog. The air was perfect, warm to the skin and still breezy enough to keep me comfortable.

I continued on the path for a while, huffing out with each step. I stopped to wipe the sweat from my brow and take a sip from my water bottle. "Whew!" I exhaled as I leaned against a nearby tree. Several bugs scattered into hiding as I planted my hand against the tree. My glasses began to fog up and soak up a bit of sweat so I took them off and gave them a wipe just to give them enough clarity to see. When I put them back on my face I looked up toward the sky. The sun burst through the light blue hue of the sky with very little clouds even attempting to impede and hide its presence from the world. Butterflies and birds graced my vision slowly as they fluttered to their destinations. It was so beautiful I put my hands together and bowed my head to pray. "Lord, thank you for allowing me another day to see your masterwork. Such beauty deserves all the praise and may it bless all who fall under it with a wonderful day, no matter whether in celebration or turmoil, may this glorious day make everyone else's brighter. In Jesus name, Amen."

My day was about to get strange.

I brought my head up and readied myself to continue my run but stopped when an anomaly caught my eye. A large streak of fire was streaking through the skies at a break neck pace. At first I thought it was a plane but no plane continues to go downward like that toward a forest, and most planes generally aren't on fire either. It had to be a meteorite, something so rare and exotic! I was stunned, I wanted to run but the wonder intrigued me, this was the chance of a lifetime. It landed with one of the loudest crashes I've ever heard, it rocked the forest massive waves of dust and fallen debris. I hid behind the safety of the trunk of the nearby tree and held on as tight as I could while the shockwave passed. It was strong. I felt it try to take me along as it swept everything else in its path that wasn't rooted backward like a typhoon. I dug my fingers into the sturdy bark of the tree to the point where I felt skin and nail tearing from my flesh but I had managed to keep my position. The shockwaves had died down and the forest had calmed down once more, er well as calm as it could get as the hundreds of thousands of angry rodents, bugs, birds, and even the plants I wanna say frantically tried to figure out what just happened to their home.

"That was a doozy." I said as I un-dug my bloody fingers from the trunk of the tree. Half of my mind told me to go home and treat them, the other half wanted to see what just happened. The landing zone of the meteorite wasn't too far from my position, maybe a mile or so. I could just check it out and maybe get a picture or two then go home. "Eh, the Lord'll give me more blood. Besides I'm way to far in to turn back now." I emptied my water bottle on top of my hand just to get the excess dirt off of them, the blood immediately rushed back out like a leaking faucet. It stung quite a bit but I put the pain aside and took ran with my reserved energy to the site of the crash. My sense of adventure sometimes eclipses my common sense but come on, how many can say 'I was the first one to see a meteorite?' it was too good of an opportunity.

When I found the site, signified by the massive crater decorated by countless amounts of destroyed foliage and uprooted trees, I gazed in awe at the body of a woman as she was just emerging from under the many trees. She lifted them off of her form as if they weighed nothing, I know I couldn't do that and I'm considered slightly above the below average human, so what was she? Her body wasn't completely obliterated, like a normal human's would be, she was standing... barely. She spotted and locked eyes with me, her pupils were a sharp, piercing green, her hair a deep purple and had fallen over her face. Her clothes resembled something out of a gladiator movie; a large cape draped over her left shoulder and ended at her right tied off by a large golden shoulder pad, a golden rope wrapped around her neck, her white sleeveless top ended at her midriff, she wore a sash along with with white thick cloth pants. As bizarre as she was dressed she was a work of beauty, a woman many men would swoon over and probably come from miles to see. Was this an angel?

Angels falling from the sky, there's a sight you don't see every week...

"M-Miss? Are you okay?" I called out as I walked carefully on top of the debris to get to her to do whatever help I could. She gave me an irritated look before her shambling form collapsed in front of me, shaking the unstable terrain. I did the only thing any man should do with an unconscious, gorgeous woman in front of them: take her home. It seemed right... Okay, bad taste, I know.

As I carried the woman I felt all of my strength return, hell I felt even stronger than I ever did and my hands didn't hurt at all anymore. She was extremely light in my arms like I was carrying a small child instead of a full grown woman and the run home was effortless. What was going on?

I put her on my bed and sat for a while by her side, waiting patiently for her to possibly awaken. She was alive, I was sure of that because she was breathing, but it didn't look like she was waking up for a while, not in her badly bruised condition. Maybe I should attempt to change her out of those clothes, they are dirty, but I don't have any woman's clothing... As a matter of fact I think the last woman ever to have been in my home is my mother... a couple of years ago. I lived out in a backwoods area where its secluded and peaceful so I didn't have any neighbors, usually just me, some tv, and the good book.
It's all I needed. Then I remembered I had been so caught up in the woman that I had forgotten about my hands, I quickly rushed to the bathroom and yanked open my medicine cabinet behind the mirror and grabbed the bandages and ran some cold water. But as I looked at my hands I noticed they weren't bloody anymore, at all. The torn skin and nail had also been reformed back into its proper placing. "Well that's unusual." I said as I examined all parts of my hand to make sure I wasn't dreaming. "So this is what my dad meant by 'a good woman takes care of you.' Alright, well then, I guess a good hand wash is in order I suppose." My hands don't heal that fast, I know that because over twenty-seven years of life I've done quite a lot to them, including lighting them ablaze, so I know that they don't just magically reconstruct themselves. I figured it had something to do with the angel-woman, my sudden strength and renewed vigor and now miraculously fixed hands. Something weird's going down and I'm gonna figure out what. At that moment when I exited my bathroom still in awe at my hands I was roughly yoked by the neck and within seconds sent flying through several walls of my house and into my back yard with insane force. I can't explain how going through walls feels because quite frankly I don't think I've ever been thrown through a wall before, my mother was abusive sure but that wasn't a method she practiced through fear of child protective services, but I'll attempt to describe it: it's like being thrown through a wall... Wait, how the hell did I live?

"You!" The woman barked as she gracefully floated to the ground before me. "You stole my strength?!" Okay, that's a new one. I've stolen before, but those were material items, not stats in an rpg. The woman was angry, seriously angry. Her scars began to reopen as she clenched her fists and teeth. Her face was twisted in an unearthly rage, rightfully so because I don't believe she was from earth to begin with, but she was speaking perfect English.

My body ached from my injuries but I pulled myself up to one knee and held my hands out in defense of myself. "Hang on, I didn't steal a thing! Honest!" There's a lot of ways to tell when someone doesn't believe you. They can make a face, they can be sarcastic, but when she flew over to me and punched me in the face so hard it sent me skidding across the top of the lake behind my house and to the other side, it was an unorthodox tell, but I think she didn't believe me. I don't know what was more ridiculous, the fact I may be dealing with an angel or the fact that I'm alive and able to feel this type of anguish. Not even a second later she's directly on top of me landing blow after blow on my face in lightning quick succession, each with the force of a sledgehammers. She's trying to smash my skull in! There's only so much a church man can take! I used 'her' strength I guess and launched my hand into her chest with the hopes it'd get her off of me. And it did. With a bright flash of light my hand launched her backward and to the ground a good distance from me. I picked myself up and surprisingly felt only heavy pains despite the torture I had been through, I should be dead. The woman kept her distance from me and I saw why, my hands were glowing with bright white light. She feared that light, it was obvious.

"You're one of The Faith!" She announced to me as she stared me down, unwilling to approach the light.

"I am?! I mean, I do live on faith but I don't think I can become it!" I responded through my bloody, aching mouth. I didn't know what I was talking about, but I guess she did.

"Are you an idiot?" She asked in disgust.

"Mostly." I replied as I put my hands up in surrender. "Please, no more. I surrender!" The lights on my hands went out as I put them up. Hopefully she won't batter me again.

She approached me, in a non-violent manner finally. I put my hands down as she strafed around me, examining me from head to toe. "This is what the Templars employ now?"

"I'm not a 'this' I do have a name." I announced with sudden bravado. I didn't want to be disrespected to the point of having no name, not again.

"And what is your name?" She asked as if she was gunnery sergeant Hartman.

"Moretto, ma'am. Moretto Carlone." I was nervous. I didn't want to accidentally make the wrong eye contact with her and get an accidental ass whooping again. So I stared straight ahead, frozen like a statue of an average man.

"Moretto, huh? My name is Kindra. You got that?" Her tone had become more calm, more commanding. It was like she wanted to make a connection with me somehow, like an associate, not a friend.

"Yes." I replied dryly.

She stood in front of me and cocked her head to the side. Her purple hair fell down cross her face but she brushed it out of the way. "If you couldn't already tell, there's something different about you. About me too."

"I believe it was quite apparent." I said with a nod, still staring forward.

"If you truly don't know what The Faith is, what your purpose is. You may be able to save this world." She said as she turned her back to me and began walking away. It was a surreal movie moment when I'm like the chosen one of this world and its my destiny. But, I know me. I wouldn't be chosen to play a game of dodgeball even if there was an even amount of players to choose from. This day is turning out to be too bizarre.

I ran after her and reached my hand out , breaking my statue stance, and spoke out, "Can I ask you something?" It was something I truly wanted to know, was she an angel?

"What?" She politely asked as she turned around slowly, making me stop on a dime. Her face was beautiful when it wasn't covered in rage. The ugly scars had vanished and her skin had a radiant complexion to it. "What is it?" She repeated as she saw me start to gawk.

"Are you an angel of God?" I asked in full confidence.

"God? You mortals still call it that?" She replied. She sounded a bit frustrated. I decided to take a couple steps back just in case she lashed out again. "It's name is the Omega, it is the creator of all that exists. And if you're asking if I serve it personally, I don't."

"But wait, how-" Was I could said before Kindra launched into the sky out of my sight. She was incredibly fast. Once again I was left alone with my thoughts and all I could think was.

Did I just meet an angel who said she doesn't serve God? I mean, what do you say to that?

And this is how my life truly got started. I am one of The Faith, and whether I like it or not, That along with Kindra is about become a major part of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreadskull #3 - Port Winter

"To Russia. You want us to take you to Russia?" A bewildered Slig asked Tori upon hearing her favor request. "World energy conferences, it's held in Moscow every five years. We've got two months before it starts." "And you're gonna pay us a million dollars, each?" "One million dollars each." "Alrght just making sure I heard ya right, that's all." "Uh, don't mind me butting in, of course if you do you don't know me very well, but I'm interested in this." Izzy cut in. "What kind of presentation do you have lined up?" "Ehh it's some boring stuff. Increasing the efficiency of Geothermal energy and saving the world's natural resources and all that jazz, it's my dad's project really, I just helped refine it here and there but he just wants me to be his golden girl with him since my mom is gone." Tori responded. "Robert still out to 'improve t